Thursday, September 27, 2007

Creative Livings

Recently in a post on The Online Photographer (incidentally one of the finest photography related blogs on the net) entitled Creative Livings http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2007/09/along-with-teac.html, Mike Johnson wrote about the role of an Art School education. A particular quote stuck with me and continues to resonate:

"For individuals who have an artistic temperament, not practicing art in some way or other can be unhealthy. .......... Creative work, whatever it might be, is an appetite, a need. Trivializing it somewhat, I sometimes call it an itch. (If I don't write something every day, it drives me nuts.) People who have talent and aptitude for art are unlikely to be happy if they're not incorporating art and artistic creativity into their lives somehow."

This is infinitely true for me, though oddly enough something I've only discovered in adulthood. Not sure why. I try to explain it to those close to me, but my words seem hollow and self-serving, as if trying to justify why I need time to work on my own projects...

..so I won't carry on. Mike said it better than I could.

2 comments:

Puffins Rock said...

These words are so true...in my case too, and I have the impression I am much older than you are.

Glenn M said...

Thank you. And thanks for your other kind words. I only recently realized there were comments on my blog..I figured I was 'alone' out there..

glenn